BMW and MINI will have fully plant-based car interiors

Latest: BMW is moving towards its goal of producing 100% sustainable cars. Recently, the group announced that BMW and MINI will adopt fully plant-based interiors from 2023. According to the company, it has developed innovative materials. These materials have leather-like properties and can be used for steering wheels. BMW said in a press release that the materials feel and look very premium, and have excellent abrasion resistance.

BMW said that by using the new steering wheel material, the proportion of parts in vehicles containing animal-derived materials has been reduced to less than 1%. This means that these materials do not appear in visible areas such as paints, protective coatings and coatings.

Uwe, Head of Interior and Exterior Development, BMW Group
Kohler said: “With a steering wheel made of a premium all plant-based surface material, we meet the expectations of customers who are unwilling to make any compromises in look, feel and function. This innovative material can withstand wear, sweat and moisture. damage and has all the desirable properties of leather. This new material creates a unique textured effect on the steering wheel.”

BMW says the leather-free surface can reduce CO2 emissions by 85 percent. About 80% of CO2 emissions come from the methane gas produced by raising cattle. The remaining 20% ​​comes from cowhide processing. This is a highly energy- and water-intensive process. A leather-free surface is just the beginning. BMW said the next generation of vehicles will offer a leather-free product as an alternative.
BMW is working with startups to develop bio-based materials. For example, Mirum™, which is 100% bio-based and petroleum-free, has the potential to mimic all the properties of conventional leather. Another new material, Deserttex™, is made from crushed cactus fibers and bio-based polyurethane.